Hackers and hacker culture

People are divided into two categories. Those who are hackers and those who aren't. What the news media did to hacker culture in the 1980s is sad. The majority of journalists and politicians at the time lacked technological knowledge and misinterpreted the term "hacking." As a result, everyone now believes that hacking means breaking into computers.

Previously, hacking meant learning systems inside out. It meant knowing where things were and what they did. Now it means breaking into computers with the purpose of compromising devices. The hackers at the time tried to differentiate from such people by calling them "crackers", but as we can see today, it didn't succeed and they are still being called hackers.

I love hacker culture. The culture is driven by passion rather than money. People can do whatever they want with their devices. The only limitation is one's own creativity. They also advocate for free speech and decentralization. Unfortunately, their freedom also permits them to ban those they dislike. As a result, I'm not very keen on joining their social networks.

I believe I could be classified as a hacker because I spend most of my free time tinkering with my computer in an attempt to customize it to my liking. But I'm not so attached to hacker culture that I'd call myself a hacker.

Kommentaarid

Populaarsed postitused sellest blogist

Online censorship and privacy

Ten commandments from Netiquette